The Society for Intercultural Education, Training and Research (SIETAR) BC chapter aims to increase mutually supportive interaction between individuals locally and globally.
To do so, SIETAR offers programs, workshops, and events to encourage and provide all individuals an opportunity to:
- Raise their awareness and understanding of how culture affects education, policy-making and business;
- Develop their knowledge, values and skills;
- Learn and build effective intercultural, racial and ethnic communication and relations;
- Connect with SIETAR members and global Intercultural Professionals.
Given our goal to increase mutually supportive interaction, we are guided by four core values:
- Empathy – seeking to build an environment where our capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing, from within this person’s frame of reference, can occur freely.
- Openness – operating in an honest way of communicating and behaving with respect and compassion, in which we do not hide anything; a way of being that allows us to be fully present.
- Courage – within ourselves and a commitment to empower each other in dealing with difficult situations with empathy and openness.
- Acceptance – working to build a process of receiving another person as they are and a gateway to appreciation of what the other person brings.